Tuesday, May 21, 2002

Yes, I ballroom danced back in the day.

In the summer of 2000, Crystal invited me to her dancing studio for a night sampling various world dances. Though a little reluctant to enter a dance floor and learn ballroom etiquette in front of dancers and friends, I agreed to give it a chance. To my pleasant surprise I had a great time. I was constantly being shuffled from woman to woman to girl to girl receiving brief samples of some of the world's most popular dances. They wooed me well, considering I agreed to return for a few complimentary lessons. Andrew came as well, he being sucked in the same way I was. To his dismay, his instructor was the "experienced" 45-year-old lady ("It's like dancing with my mom!" he later complained.), while I received Lori, the cute twenty-year-old. Lori made things fun, and I enjoyed fine-tuning some of these dances. Thanks to her, I had a great time learning the waltz, tango, rhumba, swing, cha-cha, and--- as a bonus--- I learned a little lambada. I finally discovered those latin hips of mine that had been hibernating, and now when I hit the dance floor they come out to play!

While I'm a little rusty on the technical aspects of most of these dances, I definitely look forward to removing some of the kinks this summer. I'll be hitting the dance floor again in a little over a month, so watch out...

No comments: