Sunday, May 05, 2002

Mmm... crawfish!

Living in the South and by the water has given me quite an appetite for seafood. Fish filets taste so good, but I crave shellfish even more. Cajun food and spices are among my favorites too. Could I combine these delicious flavors in one entree? Well, crawfish seems applicable in all areas, so it should come as no shock that I lust for the sweet taste of crawfish! I think the newspaper whispered my name all morning until I finally opened it and discovered that the Cajun Creole Fiesta had reserved a seat with my name on it this evening. My dad and I ventured downtown for our crawfish around 5 or so, and it did not disappoint. We shunned the boxes of full-bodied crawdads--- I don't know, but something about cracking open the crawfish's body, getting those iodine stains on my skin, carrying a salt water stench on my fingers, and receiving only a small clump of meat in return doesn't really appeal to me. Instead, we headed to the prepared dinners. Imagine a platter loaded with about two handfulls of fried crawfish tails; a mini pie crusted holding rice, red peppers, crayfish, and various cajun spices; a more-than-generous pile of crawfish etoufee with a light coat of tangy tabasco; and a cute slice of fresh french bread. All the spices filled my nose, mouth, and stomach with tingling, dazzling pleasure. I didn't even have to worry about an allergic reaction since I only ate one type of shellfish (One of the cruelest things to happen to me is my recent allergic reactions to various combinations of shellfish. I started puking every pasta dish loaded with seafood about three years ago until I discovered the culprit. And no, not even the potential of a night with the toilet bowl will hold me from my shellfish!). New Orleans may be a dingy, dirty city, but thanks to New Orleans I have good jazz and succulent cajun food, particularly crawfish!

No comments: