Thursday, May 02, 2002

The scene resembles some Wednesday nights of old: listening to Lenny, talking with a friend, acknowledging that I'm not going to bed anytime soon, spreading my relaxed legs on my waterbed. Wait, that last one: "waterbed", you say? That would be the waterbed I made my nighttime home during my high school years, the bed that still splashes in Pensacola in my old room. I'm lying in my bed, in my old room, in the house that will forever be my home, in the city I enjoy coming home to more than holding permanent residence.

Five hours before a family room greeting from my nauseous sister and her wrist-splint-toting boyfriend, I was saying goodbye to East Hall, to my friends, to my roommate of two years (Two years? That accounts for one tenth of my life!), to a twenty-four hour life on the University of Florida campus. While I have long been ready to experience Gainsville daily life off campus grounds, many memories stay with me from East Three.

Firsts:
First thought: "Dang, this room is small!"
First thing I did after my parents left me alone in my new room: hooked up the cd player and played Lenny Kravitz's "It's Your Life"
First person I met on the floor: Joseph
First person I met on the floor that I talked to days and months later: Alexis from Broward (how did she get on East Three?)
First impression of Chris: "This guy looks nothing like I pictured him."
First impression of Ben (who has ultimately become my best friend in Gainseville): "I'm either going to be good friends with this guy, or I'm going to hate his guts!"
First nickname of Aaron "I've been given more nicknames than anyone in the world" Oden: "Punkface" (Some protest that "Psssht" was the first. They would be wrong.)
First moment Chris and I really clicked: We discover our mutual love affair with The Simpsons.
First East Three floor meeting: I found out someone had sex on an air conidtioner, someone had sex with all three National Merit Hispanic Scholars from his high school, someone could do some gross trick with his elbow, someone went to elementary school with me for a year.
First Simpsons answering machine: The Monorail Monologue ("We monorail conductors are a crazy breed...")
First hilarious drunk: Travis, found butt naked on the bathroom tile
First catch phrase from John, Gooch, Elliot, and Sean: "Ba! Ba! Ba! Ba! Ba! Ba! Ba! Ba! Ba! Ba!"
First guy to develop a hate-group: Rob
First East Three pokey sticks night: Uh, I think Drew, Jim, Mike, and maybe Furio were in the room. "Being John Malkovich" in the VCR. Drew wants food and mentions pokey sticks.
First Mudfest game: Dominate in mud polo
First Mudfest results: Finish with the bronze
First photo on East Three: Carson and Amy hugging in emo glasses
First guy confirmed to be getting some action in the dorms: The single guy, who always had his girlfriend coming out of his room in the morning
First hall kickball game: Ben's team destroys mine
First mp3 I recorded on the floor: "Chem 6a"
First East Three floor whore's "Pimp of the Week": Me
First guy to be so drunk he walks into someone's room and pees in the trashcan: Adam
First guy to be so drunk he walks into the hall and pees on the wall: Eric
First guy to be so drunk he runs around in an Albert the Alligator suit: Asdo
First guy to be so drunk he's found passed out on the bathroom tile with his bare butt in the air: Oh, I already did that one
First time I walked on the floor and didn't see Big Dan in only his boxer briefs: Probably the first day of year two
First damaged floor property: A hall ceiling light, courtesy of Eric's hall putting challenge
First thought about all this: Wow, I hold an infinite amount of memorable experiences from East Three!

No comments: