Monday, May 13, 2002

An army of love bugs and an insanely hot apartment awaited my return to Gainesville last night. I'm alone in a four-bedroom apartment with no ethernet connection (it took me forever to find an accessible dial-up server). Though Gainesville entertains and benefits me more than my hometown, I miss a few things Pensacola has that Gainesville lacks:

The beach... A queen-sized waterbed... Toss-the-ball games with a Jack Russell Terrier... Mom-cooked meals... Haley...

The loneliness I anticipated to haunt my life in this apartment may not have time to develop, as I'll be loaded with schoolwork for the next six weeks. Five hours of classroom lectures will spread from 9:30 am until 3:30 pm (Woo! One hour break!) every weekday. With class meetings everyday comes reading assignments due every day. No nights will be able to have focus on merely one subject because backtracking one day in summer terms compares to a about week for a regular semester. My classes seem to have reasonable enough criteria for a 4.0 term, but Intro to Corrections and Comparative Politics require lots of dedication, Comp Politics requiring more than I had expected.

I noticed that entering the over-the-hill era of my life as an undergraduate allows me to recognize people from previous encounters. Sure enough, the summer did not keep all the criminology hotties from their UF studies. If anyone can tell me a major with more beauty girl-for-girl than criminology, please let me know. Some of these girls I've had the nerve to talk to on pervious occasions; others I'm still intimidated and shy. As for my non-criminology classes, they have familiar faces, but the faces belong to people I used to see more often than I did last semester: Stanley, Sarah, and Annika. Yep, that could be interesting. Yep. Interesting. Could be.

Potential exists for these six weeks to be fun with rarely a dull moment (well, some of the studying could fall under "dull," particularly the elementary-school version of astronomy I have), and I have many tasks to perform before I can phase into school mode. Belongings should be unpacked. Groceries should be bought. Apartment should be organized and "decorated." Books should be found and purchased. Alehouse should be visited. Financial issues should be evaluated. Class reading should be started.

You know what I'll do first?

Take a nap.

No comments: