Friday, May 03, 2002

People move in independent directions. Friends get separated in the shuffle. Ob La Di, Ob La Da, Life Goes On...

Crystal and I normally talk with seventeen hours of distance, but my move home places me five hours closer to TCU. We became really close only around the time of our high school graduation, and by the end of that summer, two people that had barely found their great friendship journeyed in opposite directions for college. Through lengthy phone conversations, holiday visits home, and one big Thanksgiving date, our friendship has been solidified. This semester, though, the talks occurred less frequently, and summer plans obstruct some chances to be with any of our close friends. As friends live and grow apart, we must put forth an extra effort to communicate and remain with our friends from afar. If visits with high school friends already takes planning and determination, I can imagine how tough it will be to juggle true friends from high school and college as I relocate to graduate school in two years.

As an example of the struggles to maintain contact with geographically challenged friends, the conversation Crystal and I had tonight revealed how hard it may be for us to see each other from now on. As she returns to Pensacola next Saturday, I am packing for my return to Gainesville that Sunday. When I return, she will be living about 40 minutes away because her house finally sold and her family must rent. When her parents find their new home, it could very well be in Pensacola, but potential also exists for a move to Texas. I know if my parents didn't live in Pensacola anymore, I'd be much less motivated to make the drives back to my hometown. Basically, we accepted that good friends will just have to exert more will in order to keep contact.

By the way, all of this was communicated through instant messenger. After getting a little nostalgic, Crystal tried to connect so we could talk through our computers. As always happens, I can hear her, but I cannot return the favor. I had not heard her voice in over a month, and she still couldn't hear mine. To be fair, I gave her a call. We talked on the phone, voices in live actual time. What came from these discussions that we might remain apart? I might receive a visit while in summer school. We promised to see a certain favorite movie of mine (and I guess I made it one of Crystal's favorites too). We spoke live on the phone. Our frowns turned into smiles.

That's what friends are for.

No comments: