Monday, May 27, 2002

Startling moment from Sunday: Somehow, the power going out woke me up around 7:30, which was a blessing in disguise because I had the opportunity to reset my alarm clock to wake me an hour later. Apparently my hand must have bumped the volume knob on the face of my alarm. At 8:30 am, pop music blasted through the tiny speakers at an unexpectedly massive volume, pounding my heart and making my body spasm out of bed completely disoriented.

Alarming moment from Sunday: The reiteration that the current state of our death penalty must be reevaluated. My biggest concern involves the appelate process. A man's appeal of his death sentence can only be upheld on a technical error during his trial. What this means: even if new evidence comes forth and proves his innocence, the convicted man cannot be saved from his death sentence through appeal. A few years ago, this scenario played itself in real life, as a Florida man convicted of murder and sentenced to be executed had DNA testing done that confirmed his innocence. As a matter of fact, the testing led to the discovery of the real murderer. Nevertheless, the judge informed the man that no technicalities denied him of a fair trial, and his appeal was denied. The cleared man was put to death a year later.

Annoying moment from Sunday: I relaxed on the couch after church and soon relieved myself with a soothing nap. In the middle of my sleep. JR, my jack russell terrier, decided I had enough sleep and took matters into his own hands. I can't remember what I was dreaming about, but it was nice until that dog tongue moistened my face.

Heartwarming moment from Sunday: This evening I drove to Hillcrest to listen to Haley sing. While sitting in a row with her mom and Roger, I turned in her direction. Her eyes were gazing straight at me, her patented mile-wide grin on proud display for me. Minutes later, Haley carried herself onto the stage and warmed the crowd with the gorgeous, "Better than I." With that mature voice that sounds as though it came from the soundtrack to a Disney movie, Haley made my heart race. My eyes were frozen onto her glowing presence. I've stared at Haley with the same eyes I had when we were together. While I've seen those looks reciprocated by Haley, I acknowledged that perhaps my emotional, self-serving, disillusioned pupils could make me see what I want to see; that perhaps my feelings for her had clouded my perception and made me see things from her that weren't actually there.

Well, my eyes apparently receive a passing grade. Haley and I followed Andrew to Village Inn last night after his play. Tonight Andrew and I chatted about my perception:

Andrewthephantom: you two make a cute couple
Adpearl: Yeah, she's being more affectionate toward me again... could you tell?
Andrewthephantom: yeah
Andrewthephantom: i could see that
Adpearl: I've seen how she's looked at me
Andrewthephantom: yeah
Andrewthephantom: lovey dovey
Adpearl: So you saw it too?
Andrewthephantom: oh helly yeah man
Andrewthephantom: she kept staring at you adn shit
Adpearl: That makes me feel real good to hear this from you, just to hear it from an outsider that i'm not crazy
Andrewthephantom: no you are not man
Andrewthephantom: she digs you
Andrewthephantom: you are so fucking lucky
Andrewthephantom: i hate you ahole
Adpearl: Yeah sure
Andrewthephantom: lol
Adpearl: this doesn't mean we;ll get back together though
Andrewthephantom: yeah
Andrewthephantom: i know man

Of course, this could make the decision later this summer all the tougher, but why worry about that now? I can look at this today as having the honor of holding a wonderful bond with someone as special as Haley. Tomorrow I can hold it with me, even as I drive away and return to Gainesville.

No comments: