Tuesday, June 18, 2002

Nothing profound to write. All I can think about is trying to find a rationale behind my nose bleed this evening. A nose bleed? Only once in the fifth grade had I ever had a plain-and-simple nose bleed like today. Who gets these things anyway? Little kids, people moving to high altitudes, old people on blood thinners, cancer patients... I've grown beyond childhood. Gainesville is flat and around sea level... I think. I know we're not at a high altitude though. I have no prescriptions for medicines that would thin my blood. No way I have cancer. Or is it, "no way... I have cancer!"? I won't even joke about that. Well, not any further anyway. I'm a perfectly healthy nineteen-year-old who just happened to release some excess blood through his left nostril.

Maybe this case should be given to Unsolved Mysteries. To my pleasant surprise, Robert Stack hosts new episodes on Lifetime, Friday nights. The show always fascinated me as a child, but with it's airing at nighttime, my dreams were tormented by nightmares. Every Wednesday night around fourth grade I would awake frightened, walk next door to my parents' bedroom, and ask to sleep with them. When my panics became a weekly event, my mom threatened to prohibit me from watching the show if I came into their bed that next Wednesday. I watched the episode, and I promise I tried. Flashes of the wanted murderers and missing children raced through my head, causing my heart to pound and my body to sweat. I surrendered to my night terrors and squeazed into my parents' bed, hoping for some sort of protection against the frightening images. My mom probably kissed me or patted my back or something. Whatever she did, that mother's touch calmed me down enough for me to get sleep before going to Ms. Kellum's fourth grade class the next morning.

Of course, Unsolved Mysteries continued to air, but I did not see the new episodes. To this day, I still get a little antsy when I stumble upon an episode at night. I love watching the shows that come on in the mornings and evenings, but the night airings still get to me. Even this Friday, during my first attempt at seeing these new episodes, my heart jumped a beat. Honestly, I think the problem is not the suspenseful stories, but rather the "Welcome to Hell" intro music. You know the tune. A faint whistle that cresendos and cresendos until that sadistic bass line comes in, which is followed by Robert Stack's spooky narrative.

Uh-oh, describing the theme has supplanted the music into my head. A long night could be in the works for Anthony. If you see bags under my eyes tomorrow, you'll know who's responsible: Robert Stack and the composers of the Unsolved Mysteries theme.

No comments: