Friday, June 07, 2002

Maybe my studying sessions would flow more smoothly if I replaced the time I spend complaining and moping about all the studying ahead of me with actual studying. Rather than complain about studying, I'll regurgitate some light-hearted information I learned today from my course booklet:

"A standing rule exists stating all inmates must be silent until count is cleared. Violation of this requirement can result in a loss of privileges for all inmates, regardless of who breaks the rule. During count the men sit or lie on their three-tier-high bunks in silence while a guard walks up and down the dorm counting the bodies on the beds. With an expression that can be seen as nothing less than defiance, inmates will, once the guard has passed their bed area and is a safe enough distance away to insure their anonymity, fart loudly. The resulting laughter obviously mocks the guard. It also, in a safe way, attacks the system, or, in this case, the people responsible for creating the rule that all must be silent during count. It also allows the inmates to break the rules and reaffirm, at least for themselves, their own power."

Ah, the smell of success.

No comments: