Thursday, June 27, 2002

Camille tapped my red chest, all the water from the hot tub slinging from her arms onto my face. I had fallen asleep in the sun, relaxing by the pool, absorbing more rays that will further contribute to my charcoal fleshtone. These moments seem peaceful, until I think: what have I done with my life the past five days? Basically nothing.

Summer school ended with overwhelming pressure from my finals, and all the sudden here I was at this condo my parents won for a week in a silent auction back in February. I can even remember finding out, I was on the couch with Haley, at that time my girlfriend, trying to make me feel better after I had been a little ill that evening. I figured the getaway would be awesome. And yeah, it has been. It’s beautiful out here, the sounds of the beach make me feel at peace, but now this peace is becoming a euphemism for boredom. Last week I was learning about criminology, astronomy, and politics, and although the studying could get tedious and frustrating, I was doing something productive. I can use the knowledge I attained from those classes and apply them to life, think of things with a more refined perspective, grow more developed in my future career in criminology. Even astronomy, though not applicable to my studies’ focus, provided my brain some more fuel; at least I’m not entirely ignorant about what goes on out there in space.

I left summer school with a more polished education and nine credits closer to graduation (the total tab is 84). Here at Emerald Isle Condominiums, I’ve achieved a darker complexion, but I have made no contributions to better myself, to better the people around me, to better my world. The only thing I’ve attempted is to continue strengthening my relationship with Haley. We are succeeding. Yesterday I felt more comfortable with her than I ever have since we put a halt to things. I’ve missed that intimate comfort tremendously, and presently she is the only person on this Earth that can give me that feeling. I hope I can give her everything--- and more--- that she has given me.

But I’m not sure. We’ll see.

No comments: