Monday, August 26, 2002

Highlights from the first day of classes:

>>>Sitting at the bus stop for the first time, awaiting the bus, here it comes, here it comes... what's the bus driver doing? He's shaking his hand at me as if to say, "Go away. The bus can hold no more." There it goes. Cross the street back to apartment. "Hey Dave, can you drive me to campus?"
>>>Discovering that my summer course in Corrections gives me an edge over the other suckers students in my History of Corrections class.
>>>Yea, at least the bus will bring me home!
>>>Deciding to order cable modem from Cox rather than get a phone line, saving me about $27/month. Apparently Misty, the operator I spoke to from Bellsouth, goes by the script and just blurts out remarks like an automated teller. Her closing remarks after I cancelled my phone line order: "Thank you for choosing Bellsouth. Have a good day."
>>>Ooh, the bus will pick me up now!
>>>Scoping out the room at my World Musics class. There's this girl on the other side of the room. My eyes have retired for the day on her face. Something about this Asian girl with the school-teacher glasses and the fine clothing just mesmerizes me, as though I'm now in the presence of a fine work of art I've longed to catch a glimpse of my entire life. You better stop staring because she'll eventually catch you and think you're a freak. Why can't I stop staring? Oh crap, she's looking over! Oh crap, eye contact! Oh crap, she just smirked a faint smile this way! Should I strike the nerve to talk to her after class? Wow, I'm just not ready yet. Ok, stop staring now.
>>>First concert I find out I'm supposed to attend for a World Musics paper: the David Benoit Trio. He effin rocks!
>>>No, I'm sorry, miss: I would remember if I had appeared on Guiding Light.
>>>Josh is introducing us servers to the girls of Chi O. Calls out Raphael, check. Mike, check. Brandon, check. Enrique Iglesias, whuh? What's he talking about? Wait a minute, he's pointing toward me! Ok, so now he'll tell them my real name. Chris, check. Wait... he didn't tell the new girls my real name! Now they're all calling me Enrique. My name is--- hmmmmmm---I kind of like it. I mean, if Anna Kournikova likes calling out the name, it must be a keeper.
>>>A crowded table of friends reunited after a summer apart. The Alehouse walls have not moved an inch; they stand exactly as I remember. Hey, there's Chasity (not Chastity), the coolest waitress ever! Hey Chas! Aw, she remembers my order. But not tonight thanks, for this evening would be Monday: All-You-Can-Eat Wings for $6.95. Seven guys share laughs, loads of wings, and eventually all rush out in a race to the their home toilets!

The first day back to school always turns out to be either hectic and stressful or crazy and thrilling. A day like this requires all your energy, cool, and focus. The second day, while for most people comprised of entirely new classes and experiences, never reaches that upper echelon of uncurbed pacing and saved memories. This school year has premiered with the thrills we all hope a new beginning will deliver. The future holds to reveal whether this first day is merely a Monday on my calendar, or whether today serves as an omen for a spectacular year.

No comments: