Thursday, August 01, 2002

The doctor examined my MRI and discovered an acute case of writer's block, not triggered by any particular stimuli. I sat listening to the expert opinions and decided to forego creating ho-hum entries that would be doomed as "forgettable" from the point of origin. So here's another list...

The titles of my Effin Tunes series (and reason for the title):

Effin Tunes: Self-Titled Album. Most "self-titled" albums are merely named after the artist, but to be nerdy I decided to actually declard the disc as self-titled in the name.

Effin Tunes 2: Y'arr, we are but Pirates. Created after Spring Break, when I shared a sailing expedition down the Keys with fellow East 3 Mullets. The first part of the title represents the sound we all grunted while on the sailboat as we imagined ourselves as adventurous pirates. Every 'r' word was said in pirate talk. How arrrrrrre you? Time to parrrrrrrty. I like tarrrrrrtarrrrr sauce. The second half of the title refers to a line from Peter Pan we also quoted while on the boat, which if said a given way will suggest a different connotation.

Effin Tunes 3: Sup Guys (by Chadwick)?. Ah, another East 3 moment. Can any mullet ever forget encountering our beloved Chad as he walked into your room, snarled that upper lip as though a fish hook got caught in there, then made his presence felt with his copyrighted intro, "Sup, guys?" Hard to imagine we only got one semester of Chadwick.

Effin Tunes 4: Pluto is a Bastard Child. Since the story behind this title first aired in late May, I'll release the syndicated version of the inspiration for this raunchy title. My astronomy class was taught by an eccentric man who had some family issues and frequently used the word bastard, referencing to the term whenever possible. The first slide we saw in class was of the nine planets, and Professor Leacock referred to the outcasted Pluto as the bastard child.

Effin Tunes 5: Wait till I Finish!. Before he cacooned into the sex symbol he has become in such hits as Meet the Parents and Zoolander, Ben Stiller portrayed an over-the-top villian in the addictive Disney movie Heavyweights. We have a small group--- a cult following, if you will--- that admires the hilarity of this movie. We all have our favorite lines, and during a recent watching I took new appreciation to a scene where Ben Stiller goes ballistic. Using a personable facade for the taping of his infomercial, Tony Perkis (Stiller) tries to suppress his anger as portly Joshua Birnbaum interrupts him just before Perkis finishes his questions. Perkis initially offers a stern recommendation that Josh wait until he finishes asking the question before he gives his answer. When Josh interrupts again, Perkis explodes with, "Wait till I finish!" Hmm, I haven't watched Heavyweights in almost a month. Streak must be broken.

Effin Tunes 6: Hot Plate. I've enjoyed watching my dad playing with our dog JR this summer. The feisty little jack russell flashes his teeth and belts out a viscious little snarl whenever my dad gives him what he refers to as a "hot plate." My dad, after kissing the little critter on the side of his face, presses his lips against JR's cheek, forming a fully insulated border. With one long exhale, hot air from my dad's lungs heat the little dog's face. Apparently, JR doesn't like hot plates; he now displays his teeth at the mere reference to a hot plate.

These titles will give me a glimpse of my activities this year, which are further complemented by the musical journal that are my compilation discs.

No comments: