Sunday, April 21, 2002

Would I have not enjoyed it because I would have been quiet, or would I have been quiet because I would not have enjoyed it?

I'm watching SNL with Jamey and Nathan. I'm back at the dorm spending quiet time with two friends rather than at the after party with all the cast members of Julius Caesar, tonight being our final performance. I didn't really develop a rapport with anyone from the play, probably because they had been together since January and I came along at the end of March. Plus, I just go up in a booth by myself while they all practice together. Everytime I did a play or skit with others I found a new friend. For the first time I was on the technical side of the show, invisible to the audience... and the actors.

I'd rather be with a small group of good friends than a big group of strangers anyway. That's just me; I'm pretty shy. Haley joked to me today that I was "antisocial" because I was going out of my way not to socialize with the people from the play (and the nerds at the festivities outside that woke me up at 10:00!). Of course she was kidding, and it was a great exaggeration, but sometimes I wish I were a little (lot) more outgoing. I should be able to go to a party full of people I don't know, find a cool guy or a cute girl--- preferably a cute girl--- stir up a conversation, and make a new friend. Sounds easy enough. Actually, I've done it before; it just seems like my other friends can do it a lot more easily than I can. What can I say? I'm shy.

Haha I just reminisced. One of my fears about going to South Africa with a bunch of strangers was that I wouldn't make any good friends and would just sit in the back of the bus with my headphones. That didn't happen... not even close! I was never alone and still talk to those cool cats. Cool, maybe I'll just start talking to people I don't know more often!

Maybe.

No comments: