Saturday, April 20, 2002

I completed a new compilation disc today ("Effin Tunes III: Sup Guys (by Chadwick)?"). Only some East Three Mullets who understand the "beauty" of Chadwick will understand the title. I got a fair mix in there, from alternative to jazz to Bocelli to Wesley Willis. About a week ago I heard that new Puddle of Mudd song--- not the catchy but finally overplayed "Blurry," but "Drift and Die." From the first acoustic chords I thought, "Hey, that would be a killer intro to my next compilation disc!" Yeah, sometimes I hear a song and start thinking about when I'll get the opportunity to pirate it onto compact disc.

Tonight I listened to my newly created cd, making sure it burned without any glitches or a silent track like track #3 on the last disc I made. "Drift and Die" comes out the speakers, and I can't help but practice a little air guitar, check myself out in the mirror, see how utterly ridiculous I look, and sit back in my computer chair relieved no one walked by and witnessed that spectacle (or so I hope). About mid-song, a voice behind me called for my attention. It didn't sound like the voice of one of my friends. A very baritone, roughed-edged grunt, like what I expect an ogre would sound like. That's when it hit me; as improbable as it would be, I suspected the caller was the guy who lives directly across the hall, the guy who locks his door even to walk to the water fountain, then follows that by locking his door a nanosecond after he's reentered his secret fortress no one has ever seen. I think his name is Mike, but I'm not even certain. How sad is that: I don't even know the guy's name who has lived across from us since August! Anyway, we had a brief chat...

Who is this?
What's that?
Who is this?
Oh, it's Puddle of Mudd.
What song?
Drift and Die. It's their new release.
I like it.
Yeah, me too. It's pretty good stuff.
Yeah, I liked that other song Blurry by them. This is pretty good too.
Oh yeah, Blurry is pretty cool, but how about that Smack my A song they put out before. That was a pretty, uh, blunt song.
That was them too? Man, I always thought that was funny that they just said that on the radio, "I like the way you smack my ass."
Ha ha, I know what you mean, man.
Yeah, cool.
I just burned this a little while ago.
Oh. Cool.

He then proceeded to turn around, unlock his door, go into his room, close the door, and immediately lock it. I'll probably never talk to him again.

No comments: