Tuesday, August 26, 2003

My final year of college began yesterday just like any other. Like most people, I sat through brief welcome sessions for each of my classes, albeit I was late for my first class--- stupid freakin busses and their "Full Bus" signs! I wore some new clothes from the summer, nice clothes, to look good for my professors, not to mention make a good first impression on my female classmates. I checked my printed schedule thrice before my trek to the next class, for fear of popping into the wrong room and looking like one of those morons who looked bewildered when the syllabus is passed and they have to get up and leave in front of the whole class... like me last summer.

Like previous years, I took in good vibes from my professors and look forward to an entertaining, yet challenging, semester. Like previous years, I recognized some faces and dropped my jaw at others. Everything that is supposed to happen on the first day of school happened this year; there were no exceptions.

And yet yesterday felt incredibly different from any other year. Everything seemed the same, and no spectacular occurences arose. So, was there a change?

Yes.

What type of change?

One from within.

I foolishly assumed that with college came the end of a classified pecking order. How joyous would it be if each person were free of labels, seen only for his character, celebrated as an individual? Even in college and adulthood, we are still shackled by labels. Where there were jocks in high school, there are student athletes and Pikes in college. Where there were once preppy bombshells, there are now ADPi's and elementary education majors. Nerds have left the band halls and made their way to the engineering and physics buildings (sorry, guys).

I have a new label, and with it come symbolic power, dominance, and stature. I am a senior, and much like in high school--- and even especially middle school--- I have inherited an authoritative confidence that comes with being among the head of the class. I walk with a new swagger, not of arrogance but of esteem. Through my experiences and my observations, I feel more mature, better aware, and more highly regarded than ever. I don't get lost on campus, don't sweat the requirements on the syllabi, and am less hesitant to stir up conversation with my neighbor before class. Wasn't senior year the best year of high school? I imagine so will be the case in college, provided I remember to study and resist the temptation to slack off and excessively socialize.

During your college years, you're supposed to be stupid... but be smart about it. I will follow those words through my undergraduate swan song.

No comments: