Tuesday, October 21, 2003

This evening, a girl at Chi-O asked me how my day was going. I couldn't think of a substantive response and replied with a "just fine." I then thought about it a little more and realized I couldn't remember what I had done today. Did I get any tests back? Did I bump into any friends? Did I eat lunch at home or out? Did I even eat lunch at all?

For a few weeks now, all my days have blurred into one mass, an ongoing event. Everyday is the same becuase I'm always doing the same thing. Everyday I study. It's the first thing I do after taking a shower and last thing I do before putting in a Simpsons tape and falling asleep.

Whenever you fill out a survey, it usually asks for your occupation. I always scroll right above "Other" to find "Student." Unless the survey really sucked, then I fill out something cool like "Government Official Top Spy Superman 007." This month is the first time I have ever felt like "student" really labelled me.

So Anthony, what do you do?
I'm a student. I study. I read books, take notes, do homework, and take tests. It's tough, and the pay sucks.


It's my duty to study. It's right there in the job description. In the next few weeks I will have taken the GRE, aced a few exams, finished the literary review of a future journal article, and gathered some sexy letters of recommendation. And for the first time, I feel compelled to dedicate my full time into acquiring the knowledge and skills necessary to succeed in the upcoming stages of my educational life, because it's my job. I want to well so I can get a damn good promotion.

Even if you can't find me, you know what I'm doing. Back to work.

No comments: