Sunday, October 12, 2003

If you're perception of me is based only on my blog, on a few cyberthoughts of mine, you don't really know me. Snippets of my life and heart spread across the internet for you to see, but they only provide carefully dispersed clues as to who I am. This blog is not of my life; it is a dramatization of the real me. Like any biography, it takes the events of my life and gives them a sense of excitement, no matter how ordinary. The other 90% of my life is spent surfing the internet, taking a bus to class, watching The Simpsons, checking up on my dinner, studying for class, sleeping.

Everything is stretched across one strand of emotion to appear more vital than the everday feeling. With something good or joyous, my blog tells you about the ultimate exhilaration of that simple, forgettable chat with an attractive girl. When my mood is low, it may appear as though my turmoil nags on every thread of my life, when in fact I overcome my minor sulk in a matter of moments. The thoughts within my writing may impress you, but many times I've spent two hours in front of a white computer canvas thinking of one word that would be better for that paragraph, or one idea that would elicit a comment or compliment.

When looking at a painting, you may see a whole picture. You may even look up close and notice some hidden messages. But you can't truly uncover all the colors used. All underlying inspirations for the work. You may be close to deciphering it, but the only way you'll ever know is if you're personal with the artist himself, if you know how he ticks when he's not at work, if you know the other 90% of him.

So don't think my life is better or more captivating than yours. Our lives are just as oridnary and beautiful. I just edit mine.

No comments: