Monday, December 16, 2002

My good friend was dating this girl during our junior and senior years of high school. She and I were casual acquaintances, mainly by default because we had several mutual friends. During our senior year we talked more personally, and recognized we could develop a true friendship. Soon into our friendship, I saw the potential for a bond unique to just the two of us, a connection that would transcend a casual friendship. Instead of exploring this friendship, I stayed distant. I made no effort during the school year to confide in her, to befriend her, to grow close with her. We both had an inner sense of what such things could lead to, and I did not want any part of it. She was dating my friend, and I would never betray an established friendship over a girl.

They dated throughout senior year and into the prom. My friend would sometimes come over and talk to me about problems with his girlfriend. My advice put his feelings as top priority; that was my responsibility as a friend. Eventually, with graduation approaching and a pending separation, she broke up with him. My friend cried in his bed for much of the night, though I was blind to this fact at the time. Soon after, she came to me. I felt more comortable being her friend at this point. She no longer kissed my friend, her feelings for him had dwindled, but I knew he was hurting. I would suffer knowing I caused him further pain, which would have been the case if he saw someone he called a friend swoop in and now go for his own glory.

It would be three months before we would leave for college. We grew closer together, realizing we did indeed share some sort of bond, one I had never experienced before. We spent much of the summer together. As we'd go play tennis, watch a movie, swim in the pool, or just talk, my mere acquaintance grew into a best friend. I wanted more than a friend. Those summer months quickly evaporated, and at the twilight I felt myself more strongly yearning to be with her. I wondered what could have been, who she would be to me if I had been there for her instead of him the night they started dating, how different the last two years could have been, if those lips tasted as heavenly as she smelled.

But I restrained myself, and we left for college as close friends, that bond still maintained through occasional phone calls, e-mails, and visits home. Hers is a dear friendship I cherish, a true friendship that lasted longer than my romantic feelings that have long since dissipated. I take pride in how I handled that summer, partly because I left with one more great friendship, and also because I never betrayed my friend. Throughout the summer his feelings for her remained strong, and I knew as a friend I had a duty not to hurt him; our lengthy friendship was more important than a summer romance that could not have withstood time.

No comments: