Friday, September 06, 2002

This summer my Corrections professor brought in a few people in our field of study to talk to us about their personal encounters with the dangers and troubles of alcohol. This guy named Dana pointed to our desks and said he once sat in the very room we were currently in as a student. He had dreams of law school, a respectable profession, and a firm future. His hopes cracked the instant his windshield cracked, as he stayed slumped in the car he just smashed into a brick wall while driving in a drunken stupor. A DUI conviction quickly interfered with his life's plans, and he struggled with the detours followed to redeem his life. I forget what he does now--- something with the county concerning police work--- but he told us that he learned so much from the incident, and that at a time when we feel invincible we must look deeply within and realize we must make wise decisions, for in a flash dreams worked for can crash into a brick wall. His words were striking, powerful, and convincing. They began an entire class of self-evaluation, and I could see those in the class who often drank carried slumped heads. Dana was no longer ashamed of his mistakes, he said, because that experience led him to a cleaner, stronger life.

Jason picked me up after work at Chi-O this evening, and we drove toward our inevitable destination: the Alehouse. A hug from Chasity, a Big Red we didn't have to verbally order, and some stale french fries that were eventually replaced by our accomodating lady. The crowd at Alehouse was growing by the minute. Apparently, people enjoy standing around tables at sports bars when the NFL season rolls around (I was gonna use a pun like "when the NFL season kicks off... literally!"--- but I decided against it.) I looked over at the group of four guys across from our table. They got loud occasionally, but I guess that's what happens after a few beers. I recognized the guy in the green shirt with the beer in his hand. That guy loved to drink beers a few years ago until he wrecked his car and his college career with a DUI. He had told me that even when we feel invincible, we must reflect on what our actions may lead to, that acting carelessly after a few drinks with the guys is not worth the potential dangers that follow.

I hope he didn't drive. I would like to think he didn't drive. Even if he didn't, those four guys seemed to feel high and mighty, almost invincible. To me, one of them looked weaker than ever.

No comments: