Wednesday, February 25, 2004

Election Games

We had reached the student plaza, overflowing with party boosters campaigning for the big student election. This is where we were to go our separate ways. She smiles and says bye, and at that moment I open my mouth, ready to tell her that I'd like to see her outside of school boundaries, and time has come to get her phone number. But I wasn't wearing an "I voted" sticker yet, and before the words can escape my mouth, the Innovate Presidential Candidate taps me and asks me if I've voted. I'm walking toward my voting booth, I say. Without my personal guarantee that I'd vote for his Innovate party, he proceeds to go through his platform, a platform I had heard many times, a platform I needed no further explanation of.

She, with her "I voted" sticker on display, laughs at my predicament, wishes me luck, and runs off. Walking toward the voting booth, I had been on the fence over which party to vote for, slightly leaning toward Innovate's rival, Access, but knowing that I wouldn't fully decide until the ballot was in my hand and I went with my gut. I was seriously considering voting for Innovate. But after this encounter, I promptly went upstairs, got my ballot, rushed to the booth, and darkly marked my votes for the Access Party, because they don't step in on a guy's game.

No comments: