Sunday, July 20, 2003

My life is in the midst of a 360 degree transformation.

Whenever I achieve a set goal, I tend to "reward" myself by slacking off, convincing myself that a job well done merits a break from work. My meeting with my professor Friday left him quite impressed with my efforts; he let me know of his delight at my findings and knowledge gained from serving as his research assistant. I took the bus home and asked myself, why do I need to spend the weekend downloading journal articles and underlining passages if I have done such a good job the past month? So I didn't do any research, and without a job, my calendar was absolutely empty. Instead of doing anything productive, or even social, I spent the weekend downloading and listening to 80s music, reliving the world of crimped hair, synthesized keyboards, and testosterone-free vocals. I also played tennis. It was cool.

I slugged around in my own patheticness this weekend, but when the clock strikes midnight, it will be July 21, my twenty-first birthday! I actually came out at 5:01 pm, but we don't worry about such technicalities during times like these. Who knows what will actually go down on my birthday, but you know what takes place during 21st birthday parties, and it doesn't include twister and suck n' blow... unless there's a killer afterparty. We'll be at Gators Dockside at 7:00, so you should come.

Within 24 hours, my scenery will be much more serene and much less sweaty. How many people are lucky enough to be have a party with great friends one night, and another with their loving, entertaining family the next? The Italarican clan will grow the next day, when we "legals" in the family head out to Biloxi. My aunt sometimes wins thousands of dollars in jackpots, but I may just throw my money in air and watch all the addicted gamblers dogpile over it. I wouldn't lose any more money, plus I'd have one hell of a stroy. A stroy is just like a story, only misspelled.

I'll cap off a weekend celebrating 21 years of Italarican splendor by flying into Baltimore to visit my best bud Ben. Again, we will not be playing twister.

By next Sunday I'll be back in the comfort zone of my family, spending 24 hours between quality family time and sleeping. The next day I'll take the five-hour trek to Gainesville, the official end of my 21st birthday vacation. By the time I get back to my apartment and my summer life, I'll probably want to "reward" myself for having such a bodacious week (too much 80s this weekend) by taking a few days off to rest. It is then that I will return to the calm, chill state that characterizes all that is Anthony.

If I'm not back here before the 360th degree, just keep waiting.

No comments: