Monday, November 03, 2003

We were still bursting with energy from the incredbile night, driving down an unfamiliar highway in effort to find a friend's house. Without finding that house, we were left with either calling hotel numbers we had been given that night, or sleeping three guys in a cozy-but-not-that-cozy Honda Civic. On the left, a dark stretch of trees clouded our view from the aftermath of a city-wide party we had just escaped. Every block looked like the next, and that's why the yellow lighted boxes stood out so strongly. We immediately looked at each other and smirked, as if it were our duty to pull over.

I got out of the car and put on my cap, my hair sweaty and curling by the minute, and walked in not quite sure what I wanted at Waffle House, but I knew I didn't feel like having a waffle. When we entered, our Waffle House waitress harked out a "Good Morning!" to us boys, we being perplexed until realizing that yes, when it is 4:45 am, morning has indeed arrived.

I got a bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich on white toast, side of hashbrowns, and a glass of water.

One cell phone call later, we successfully found Lynn's house and called it a night morning night.

I lied motionless on a pull-out sofa, thinking about our night. Well, my night. Looking back at all the 32 oz beers, the hostile Georgia fans, the obnoxious array of noises, and the beautiful babies from both my school and across the border, I realized that definitely I had a good time, maybe even a great time. I did. I had a great time.

I knew that once I woke up, I probably would not have a night like this for quite a while. And actually, I was thankful; thankful that "partying" was not my choice of lifestyle; there are much better, more meaningful things to live for. And yet, the same time, I could appreciate my fun for what it was, and I'd have a few memories from this night that stay with me long after I've left University of Florida. The memories that stay with me will do so because they are deviations from the repetitiveness in my life. I was definitely content at keeping this night as an opportunity to see how great I have it, an anomaly in my subdued life, and, most importantly, an unforgettable October night.

No comments: