Monday, January 19, 2004

Oh What a World We Live In

I bought more cds in 2003 than ever before. The incredible shift has been made from appreciating individual songs to deciphering entire albums, and now I can't get enough music. I now understand why my dad collects and collects to the point of 5,000 cds and 2,500 vinyls.

Without further ado, my Top 10 albums of 2003:

10. Dashboard Confessional - A Mark, a Mission, a Brand, a Scar. Chris Carrabba adds a rhythm section to support his "emotional" voice. Their play is technically solid while still maintaining that much-needed raw energy. Some tracks are forgettable, but the opening track ("Hands Down") is my single of the year. I seriously had that song in my head longer than any other song... ever. Favorite track: "Hands Down"

9. Rosie Thomas - Only With Laughter Can You Win. This woman's voice can only be described in one word: precious. Okay, maybe a few more. Serene, Angelic, Innocent, Loving, Childish, Calming, Beautiful. Favorite track: "Gradually"

8. Outkast - Speakerboxxx/The Love Below. Some artists receive critical acclaim more from hype than talent, but there's a good reason that Outkast became a word-of-mouth sensation. The dual album is innovative, diverse, and hilarious. Though I could do without maybe 20 minutes of the two-hour-plus marathon, "Hey Ya" would make up for 40 minutes of filler on almost any other album. If you didn't feel good after first hearing "Hey Ya," you have no soul. Favorite track: "Hey Ya"

7. The Raveonettes - Chain Gang of Love. You have a right to hate this album. Every song is played in B-flat major (as advertised on the cover). But you know what? I love B-flat major, and I love The Raveonettes. Favorite track: "Let's Rave On"

6. Switchfoot - The Beautiful Letdown. Good music's answer to Christian Contemporary. The first track ("Meant to Live") is making a splash onto alternative and even Top 40 radio, 11 months after the album's release. Take a listen. These guys are like that special food that tastes great, and is good for you. Favorite track: "Twenty-Four" (I don't count the rerelease of "Dare You to Move," my favorite Switchfoot song)

5. Over the Rhine - Ohio. I first heard Over the Rhine in my friend's car, and my first thought was, "This is exactly how I would write a song." I ordered Ohio as soon as it was available, and, to be honest, I was a little disappointed initially. But then I put in the second disc, and I felt the magic that intrigued me so much when I first heard "B.P.D." It took a few weeks, but eventually Karin Bergquist's voice and Over the Rhine's songwriting talent won me over. How much so? Go back and look at who I placed them above. Favorite track: "B.P.D."

4. The White Stripes - Elephant. The White Stripes are the target of many haters, to which Jack White responds, "I'm gonna fight em off. A seven nation army couldn't hold me back." Jack and Meg may not play their instruments extraordinarily well, but if technique and polish were what made legendary musicians, The Beatles wouldn't even have a mention in the history of rock n' roll. So shut up. Favorite track: "The Air Near my Fingers"

3. Belle and Sebastian - Dear Catastrophe Waitress. The reason this list comes 3 weeks after the end of 2003: I just discovered Belle and Sebastian, and I immediately knew their new album would bump a few of my favorite albums down the list. The songs sound like a collection of hits from the 60s. While I'm an entire generation behind the 60s, this album makes me pine for the good old days, when music meant something... and was damn good. Favorite track: "Dear Catastrophe Waitress"

2. The Strokes - Room on Fire. The Strokes and The White Stripes are paired together when discussing anything concerning music, and with reason. I could use the same summary for Room on Fire as I did for Elephant, but The Strokes deserve their own commendation. The album is amazingly tight. The thirty minutes of honest, aggressive rock n' roll fly by leaving you wanting more. Each song stays true to the same style of up-tempo, I-don't-give-a-damn rock, but no two tracks sound the same, and each song is special in its own right. That is phenomenal. Favorite track: "Under Control"

1. Rufus Wainwright - Want One. This is music. I cannot express enough how much I love this album. Every song tells a different tale, from a different angle, with a different color. Rufus sounds like he's the crooner missing from Sgt. Pepper on one piece, pop's answer to Maurice Ravel in another, and even wanders into heir-to-Radiohead territory in the middle. His voice, though nasal and slurred, flows marvelously. The instrumentation will alarm you-- vibraphone, banjo, and even tuba(!) make appearances-- but everything fits appropriately and beautifully. Rufus Wainwright joined Joshua Redman as my favorite musician because of this 14-track masterpiece. Go buy it right now. You can thank me later. Favorite track: I simply cannot decide, but if forced to, half the time I'd say "Go or Go Ahead" and half the time I'd say "Beautiful Child"

No comments: